Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mangoberri

How can you help someone with low self esteem?

Well, I'm thinking my friend has low self esteem, and obviously I want to help her...how can I help her? I don't want to hurt her even more, but I just want to get her esteem up, so she'll be a positive person, and always looking forward to the next day.

I know this is sort of regarding Chiaretta's self esteem post, but I was just wondering how do you help someone>?

Well I've struggled and sometimes still struggle with low self-esteem. I would say one way to help is just to help lift someone up a little, tell them their hair looks nice if you think it does, if you think the necklace we wear is cool...let us know, if you think we are funny then tell us that! It really starts to help make someone feel special and noticed instead of invisible and unnoticable...

Maybe if it's your friend call her out of the blue just to talk for a bit. Invite her over to do something even if it's silly like just having a sleepover or going to eat somewhere or watch a movie.

Anything to make someone feel special or treasured, and know they have folks that care and that pay attention to them, and that they are well liked and well accepted.

Just how I see it from my viewpoint and things that would be helpful to me, so probably others too Smile

I think that's all great advice Smile

It's very hard if someone doesn't value themself, and you can't help change things over night I think - you have to keep at it consistently, that's important, and also compliments have to be sincere.

I agree it's very important to let someone know how much you notice about them and what they do - commenting on the small things reinforces that they're making an impression, not just the major things like a new hairstyle or the clothes - I think it's nice to make it about them and their attitude or something they've done which is unique to them.

We all like to feel appreciated and valued and to feel we did well sometimes Smile

i think Lithiumkat's advice is really good! it's not to be vain, but if you say to a person with a low self-esteem that she/he looks nice, or something like this, she/he will feel better (i talk for experience Ashamed )

i think it's also important for that person to FEEL good, so an idea could be to gift her/him (for a special occasion maybe) a day in a spa.... to have massages, manicurepedicure, hair done.... all things that can feel her better with herself!