Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glow88

I feeel Stress....!

I am a university student and I am always struggling like which major should I go to... I have been stuck with this question for like the past 2 years...! I found it difficult to like decide what I actually interested in...

People said that it does not really matter cause when u work in the future, u might not even work as what u have studied.. but i feel its good to be able to find what im interested in so that I can actually do good in it cause it interest me but not just any courses that i dun have interest at all and turn out failed the course....

Until now, im still not clear.. But I made a decision and planning to go into business major cause business have many varieties and also higher chance in future to find a job... And I feel marketing should be an interesting course...But I have never done marketing before, so aaaa I duno whether will i regret in the future again and start changing...I have been changing here and there for like so many times and delaying my studies... >< I really dun wana waste time...

But after deciding to get into business, I am having another problem again...! Business requirements are toooo high ...! They need a really high CGPA in order to get in...! Currently my CGPA is reallly low and because I am a transfer student, I have to add up my transfered CGPA with my current university CGPA and divide it by 2 and then deduct 0.3 ...! WOW...thats like alot >< If without deducting that 0.3 , i might still have a chance to get in...But aaa...I I feel I have totally no chance to get in..even if i dooo how hard...maybe even scored like few semesters of A+ (which is impossible), I still might not have a chance to get in..Its like wasting more time cause at my lvl now, I am suppose to start doing business 300 level courses...But I cant, cause I am not in business major...Feel so stress...cause I cant get in, means I have to change major again...

Struggling like what major to pick...everyone..my family, friends all say pick economics...its like the closest to business..but hmmm economics? I dont really know what is it about...I think its more like finance stuff i think..but I think im not interested in it >< Should I just do economics instead and give up business? Maybe i can actually graduate quite fast without wasting money and time....Its so hard to decide...So stress everytime especially NOW..cause its time to pick courses for next semester... =[ dun really know what courses to take...

haha its ok if no one can help me, i just feel like writing out to share wid someone, i feel its kinda hard keeping all the stress inside my heart...typing it all out will makes me feel better =)

Awww hun, Sorry I cannot offer any advice really on the subject but I just wanted to wish you the best in whatever you choose to pick. Maybe talk to a school Counselor and see if he or she can help you to make the best decision for your future. The staff that the school is there to help in anyway they can take advantage of that opportunity while it's there!

thx lot mylady =)
i seen the advisor but hmmm does not really help ><
she told me to find a backup plan..cause my chance of getting in business is low! ><

hehe

oh no, sounds like the need a new advisor Well look into things as best you can and make a decision with your heart! I'm sure you'll find something that will guide you into the Career you love congratulations

LOL i wish my heart is clear enuf...i think itsss like so messy...Like I always dont know what i like or wat i want.....maybe cause there are too many choices Sad

seems like no courses are fun or interesting lol...
i guess life is like tat

hi glow! i'm a marketing student, and i think i know how you feel.
i know it's a very stressful decision, but you have to be sure about what you choose since:

- if you study something you like, then you study better. otherwise it can be really difficult.
- it's true that you could work in a total different area after your graduation, but it could be better if you can find your way studying something you like, and that you can hopefully do also as a job!

so, don't listen to what other say you should do, because it's a very important decision and you should decide on your own! aren't there any "open day" in your university, where you can go and try courses, talk to teachers and students? that might help!

>< hmmm...! i wish i can get into marketing !
there is no open day in my uni >< but we can go listen to lectures...
but hmm the problem is i cant do marketing courses now cause im not in business major....

sob..!

Hi Glow

This sounds like something you have been worrying over for a while now.
Unfortunately no one is able to tell you which course you should do, that is a decision only you can make.

The only piece of advice I can really give you here is to try to learn more about the economnics and advertising courses. Find out exactly what work you would be doing in your course, because as you said, it has to be something you are interested in or you will struggle with the work. Also find out what sort of jobs would be open to you with the qualifications these course give you and decide if they are the type of jobs you would be interested in. Maybe even try and talk to people who are already taking these courses. for more information.

Sorry I havent been able to offer you more advice

Best Wishes
Agony Aunt xx

thx lot agony aunt^^

advertising courses is the best... =)
hope im able to decide a.s.a.p
=)

hi glow! i agree with everybody! i myself too, cannnot give you any advices but wishing u all the best of luck in everything..You know, I was same as you before, i'm really confused to which course i have to take.. I'm planning before to take, psychology, interior designing, Tourism but i end up with Mass Communication. I love my course but at the end i never use it, i go abroad and here i become an executive secretary, which is very far from my course..
Only i would like to tell you that whatever course you take, just pursue with it and be good and work hard on it,..in short STUDY HARD! The important thing is that you have to graduate with a degree..Goodluck to you Glow, i know soon u'll pick the right one which fits for you..

thx lot chay ^^
mass comm ...wanted to do it tooo b4..haha but i sux in writing so i did not do it in the end....
hmmm mind always changing ><

Hi ^-^

I am a freshman
before I am a Bachelor of Science, Nursing (BSN) student --- 1st sem...I just transfer this semester...I picked Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management ( BS HRM) --- 2ns semester. I think it'll be more fun ^.~ the description in the HRM

Program Description:
The Hotel and Restaurant Management Curriculum provides a synthesis of different skills, concepts and principles specializing in hospitality training. It involves the study and application of practical and managerial knowledge and functions such as hotel and restaurant operations, culinary arts, food service, hospitality education and research that are essential in preparing the students to become adept future restaurateurs and hoteliers.

Career Options:

* Restaurant Operations Manager
* Executive Housekeeper
* Front Office Staff
* Front Office Manager
* Management Trainee
* Food And Beverage Director
* Restaurant Or Lodging Business Owner
* Leisure And Recreation Consultant
* Food Service Consultant
* Academician
* Food Stylist
* Executive Chef
* Independent Caterer
* Cruise Line Staff
* Bartender

at Monday I'll start my classes ^-^
I think it'll be so much fun taking this course ^^

My advice to you:
Pick what you want because if you pick what you don't want...you will regret it.
Explain to your family why you want it. They'll understand you.
Don't forget that besides you want it, you are really determined and be focus...enjoy your college life ^.^ It comes once in a lifetime
Don't forget to think also of your future...

wait....I have a page 2 I hope it'll help

at our country here are some descriptions....

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

BSBA Major in Business Economics

This program is designed to provide students with solid background and training in the methods and applications of economic analysis. The students’ research skills are honed through the various economics courses such as international economics, managerial economics and human resource economics, further preparing them to be proactive when confronting current economic issues.

Career Options:

* Economists for both government and private enterprise, corporate planners, credit or foreign exchange analysts in banks
* High school economics teachers (with government licensure exams)
* Stock brokers or traders
* Research work in the academe or government
* Marketing researchers

BSBA Major in Financial Management

The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Financial Management prepares the students to possess a strong foundation on theory, principles and concepts, as well as analytical tools and perspectives that would provide a sound and competitive basis for financial and investment decision making.

Career Options:

* Financial Analyst
* Credit Analyst
* Treasury Assistant
* Stock Analyst
* Trust Management Staff
* Credit and Collection Assistant
* FX Trader

BSBA Major in Human Resource Development Management

The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management prepares the students for a career in Human Resource Management in various corporations whether in the manufacturing, marketing and service sectors, or in the different types of industries such as pharmaceutical, semiconductor, food and beverage, banking industries and other types of organizations.

Career Options:

* Management Trainee in Human Resource
* Administrative Assistant
* Executive Assistant
* Recruitment Assistant
* Training and Development Staff
* Labor Relations Staff

BSBA Major in Marketing Management

The Bachelor of Science in Business Administrative major in Marketing Management prepares the students to be responsive to the total environment by providing technical skills and competencies in the areas of Marketing. Theory is blended with practicum activities to give the students a broad and enriched base for career in Marketing.

Career Options:

* Management Trainee in Marketing
* Marketing Assistant
* Account Executive
* Merchandiser
* PR/Advertising Assistant
* Service Crew
* Customer Service Agent
* Product/Brand Assistant
* Order/Billing Assistant
* Events Management Staff

BSBA Major in Operations Management

The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Operations Management prepares the students for the acquisition of competencies and skills needed as managers in manufacturing and service oriented businesses. It focuses on managing the processes to produce and distribute products and services. Major overall activities often include product creation, development, production and distribution.

Career Options:

* Management Trainee in Operations/Production
* Operations Management Assistant
* Technical Staff
* Warehouse Assistant
* Inventory Assistant
* Project Assistant
* Logistics Management Staff

AMV College of Accountancy

Program Description:
The BSA Program provides a foundation of professional knowledge, skills, values, ethics and attitudes that will enable our students to learn and adapt to change throughout their professional lives. The program will provide a broad base of knowledge concerning accounting, auditing, management and cost accounting, taxation, macro-environmental, economic and industry issues, business process structures, functions and practices as well as the general education courses. The program will prepare the students to be conversant with IT concepts and application for business systems and sound knowledge on internal control in computer-based systems, and evaluation of computer business systems.

Career Options:

* Professional accountants in various sectors such as public practice, commerce and industry, government and the academe.

I studied Economics when I was In highschool:
It is not my favorite subj. but i hope I'll do my best to help
It's about:

Economic is an essential topic for life. If you are working, understanding economics will help you understanding how are the products and services of your company relate to the markets and consumers. Why some products can mark the price so high and still there are demands on purchase? How services and products decrease its value? All of those questions can be answered by basic economics knowledge.

5 concepts to Economics:
allocation
choice and opportunity cost
economic system
scarcity
money and the equation of exchange

2 problems:
resources are limited
needs and wants are unlimited

Why study economics?

-to understand the government collect taxes
-to understand why govt provide the people with social services
-to know the basis of commercial to relation among nations
-to understand and price increases and the vitality of economic activities
-to know how societies increase their resources and how to improve the welfare of their members / people
-to learn the importance of economizing

that's all.

Thank you for sharing

Aika 5 thank you for that fantastic information...I'm sure glow88 will really appreciate it congratulations

hi glow hun. i understand your struggle. choosing a major is a MAJOR decision. although most people say that "you can choose whatever cuz most likely you are not going to use it" does not apply to everyone.

think about what jobs you will be interested in the future.
what is it exactly you want to do once you graduate?

look into those jobs and see what degree(s) are necessary.

if you know people with those jobs, you can talk to them about what major they chose and what they think you should do as far as your best options.

best of luck honey. you will make the right decision!

thanks lot aika =) wow thats alot of information....! and hmmm i really like the course ur doing...i actually plan of doing hotel management long time ago but hmmm i did not do it in the end...actually among all the information u gave me , i really love the marketing management the best... =)
I actually wanted to do marketing communications cause its more to like events, PR and all the type of fun and interesting jobs.. Too bad it does not offer in my uni and they only have it in college >< maybe i will do that in future after i get my degree...

erm but u gave me lots info bout economics...hmm but studying economics can be related to marketing too..haha...so maybe economics can be a good choice after all =) but looking a taxes and government stuff,,,,aaa...im afraid i will be bored with that... >< really hope economics will be the nice choice..

Thx lot smorkle for the advice =)

Here is my opinion from looking at what my friends have done since graduating college about 5 years ago. In order to have a successful career you should either 1) go to a trade school (dental hygienist, nurse, land surveyor, chef etc.), or 2) get a master's degree and either work in academia or in a specific field (for instance I have a MS in library science and work as a librarian).

Those who went to a 4 year and chose something they were not passionate about have been mostly lost. They live with their parents (still!), work at jobs that wouldn't require college (barista, call center employee etc.). Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of middle management positions out there anymore waiting for a person with a bachelor's in anything. I think this was true in my parent's generation, but it is not true anymore.

I'm sorry to sound like a downer, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I feel that colleges have not caught up with the modern workforce and that they do not know how to properly advise their students.

My major was very easy.I really love people and wanted to do something to better their lives.I became a Trauma Nurse.I love my job and even though I was injured at work a little over a year ago,I have faith that one day surgery will get me back to my patients.I have learned a lot about myself,about pain and patience.Through my ordeal,think it could make me an even better nurse.

Aika gave lots of good information.College is stressful,make sure you find something that you will love 10 yrs from now.

hugs and best of luck and do deep breathing exercises (they help)5 mins

I think it must be a bit different in the UK as universities all have open days in the version faculties and should also be quite clear about their projected and historic exit opportunities for graduates.

In our family, our elder daughter was clear on what she wanted to do right from when she was a small child. She studied fashion at the UK's only dedicated art university in London. This gained her good experience and internships within the industry after she graduated, but it's true to say that the right job that's going to make you happy is a bit elusive, and at the moment she's in a press-related PR type job, still in fashion though.

Our other daughter is very intelligent, but not much of a student and she wasn't too hard working. We stopped her further education as we just knew it would be years of hanging out in the student bar!

She had a series of dead end type jobs, but was talent scouted and is now working in the banking industry, attending courses and doing exams through a different route.

So I'd ask if it's possibly for you to contact other students who've been following courses that you think might interest you? see what the reality of those courses is, rather than just the written information out there.

Don't be put off working hard to get to the right course for you, rather than just taking any course for the sake of attending University.

It seems so imperative to decide quickly at the moment, but remember, it's for all your life ahead.

in my opinion, I think that you should choose what major you like best, and after that you will get the job that you like.... but I know it isn't that easy, so, I'll just hope you get all the best ... Smile

Sorry to reply so late but thx for all the comments! ^^
really appreaciate it!