Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mangoberri

My friend....

Some people just aren't competitive; she doesn't feel the need to win as much as you and your team mates do. If you have any say in who is in your team, don't pick her next time.

We don't get to pick our teams..our teacher does it for us.

Okay..it's not that it's competitive. She doesn't try in anythign she does! we're trying to tell her to try..try editing your work in english..try harder in school cause she is failing.

This is really difficult ...if she is not interested in sport then no amount of nagging is going to make her try harder ..I know from experience. In school ..many years ago I know ...I was that girl. I just had no ability in sport whatsoever and no matter how hard you try if you can't do it you can't do it!! I wouldn't say I got irritated by peoples attitudes but it was very upsetting and hurtful.
As for other lessons, maybe you are genuinely trying to help her, but she could see it as bullying ..maybe you could just try praising the things she IS good at and encouraging her in the things she is not so good at.

This is a really hard one.

A kasijab has already said, some people just dont like sport and no matter what you say or do nothing will change that.

I know you are tying to help your friend do better for herself, but sometime constant negative criticism can be a form of bullying, even though I know this is not intentional. Your friend may feel like nothing she does is good enough, and may even be thinking, why bother? Imagine how you would feel if you were in her shoes and everone was on your case and telling you that you should do this, and do that!

Maybe you should try postitive praise, find something she is good at and praise her for it...even if its just the way she dresses, singing, anything really. When she is doing sports, and she does the slightest thing well, tell her, or even if it goes wrong, tell her good try. Same with her course work, find some part of it that is good, even if its just handwriting, art, anything really and praise her up on it. The more praise she gets the harder she will want to work.

Friends find ways to help each other, without criticizing each other.

Take care

Agony Aunt xx

It's just that she's a very negative person. Everything she plans to do, she thinks to the negative side.

Hey hun

I'm speaking from personal experience here..

Sometimes forms of depression and anxiety can cause people to always have negative thougts and feelings. And no matter what you, or anyone else says to them, they can not just snap out of it.

Please dont say they have nothing to be depressed about as that is not the way it works. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes it, not necessarily what is happening around them

I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your friend, as not only do I not know her, I am not a doctor.
I just want you to stop and think differently. and try and figure out if there is a reason she is like this.

She could have a very low self esteem and may think nothing she does is good enough, so why should she bother, and if this is the case then critisism will deffinately make her worse

Please dont judge her, or try and change her, but take time to build up her confidence and be very careful to not put her down, even unintentional it is

In a way I'm not suprised she is being so defensive if you are all telling her that everything she does is wrong

Hun try and imagine it from her point of view

She doesn't even take the teacher's opinion, so it's obvious it's not only us, it's the whole wide world. The teacher tells her you should fix your ____ in your paragraph, and she will go, yea sure. and not change it.

but again hun that might come down to always being put down, you build a barrier around yourself and get very defensive, even when people are trying to help you

Anyway this is only my opinion, and the whole point of these threads are to get peoples opinions Smile